Friday, July 6, 2007

Moab is beautiful!

We have made it to Moab. Actually, we made it to our campsite around 7pm or so. Well, more of a cabin than a campsite, but the bathrooms and showers are in a separate building so we're still roughing it, right? Right, nevermind then.

Anyway, we got in and got a little settled before heading to Arches National Park which rules so hardcore. Everything out here is on such a different scale than back east - you really feel quite small and insignificant surrounded by these huge towers of rock and gigantic mesas. It's really quite humbling. I hate to say it, but I even started to feel a little patriotic, mostly because I have never witnessed anything like this and here it all is in the same freakin' country!

But anyway, we only got to see about half of the park before the sun set (which was awesome) and we had to head back. Dinner was less than stellar for Rebecca as there were lots of bugs attracted to our lamp-light (note for future: cook when the sun is out) but I enjoyed it just fine (more protein!).

Another thing of note is that the heat here really is different. It was consistently 85-95 and yet I didn't feel that bad. Yes, it was hot as hell, but in New England that kind of heat is debilitating. Here, at 89 degrees as I was perfectly comfortable. Not the greatest tempurature, but I felt fine, I wasn't sweating, and I could've stayed out there forever. There was no rush to get to A/C'd interiors at all.

It's almost 6am right now and the sunrise was awesome. We're headed back to Arches to catch the rest of the park and then packing up to go to the Grand Canyon next. We'll post again when we get a chance!

--Eric


Sunset at Arches National Park

2 comments:

Miriam said...

you two look so sweet! I'm glad you are enjoying your trip!

miriam-mama voice: "drink water!! wear sunscreen!!"

Gabriel R. said...

Dry heat is a lot easier to handle than the muggy, humid climate here. I totally agree with your sentiments in regards to feeling small. The mountains surrounding SLC have much the same effect, as does the miles of flat land in the mid west. That makes me feel very small, and exposed I guess.